There are 4 main memorials to the men of the Royal Leicestershire
Royal Tigers Wood
The photograph above shows
the newest memorial to all those who served in the Leicestershire
Regiment. It is situated in Royal Tigers Wood, within
Bagworth Heath Wood, some 8 miles to the north of Leicester.
The wood contains trees from many of the countries the
Tigers saw service in. Both the trees and the Memorial
Stone were financed through donations
The photograph was supplied
by Beryl Dale, the widow of old tiger Norman Dale (No.
4862702). Beryl is an active member of the Burma Star
Association and of the Friends of the Burma Star, and
has been very helpful in providing material for this web
For a larger image of the
former St. Georges Chapel was reconstructed in 1921 and
contains memorials to the men of the Royal Leicestershire
Regiment. The battle honours of the Regiment and the names
of those killed in the Crimean, South African and two
World Wars are recorded and remembered.
The Cathedral Centre
21 St. Martin's, Leicester. LE1 5DE
Leicester War Memorial
Situated in Victoria Park,
Leicester, the War memorial was unveiled in 1925 to commemorate
the dead of the First world war.
This impressive monument, designed by Sir Edwin Landseer
Lutyens, is approached via a formal avenue. On the memorial
gates, there is a memorial plaque to the Leicestershire
Under the Regimental Badge,
the plaque reads:
"In grateful memory
of the service and sacrifice of all ranks the Royal Leicestershire
Regiment (17th foot) 1688 -1964"
An appeal is currently under
way to raise funds for a new Regimental Museum Gallery,
at the Newarke House Museum, in the centre of Leicester.
(See Museum page)
the opening of the new Gallery, a small display is available
Leicestershire Regiment Museum
Royal Tiger's Gallery
New Walk Museum
53 New Walk